Wednesday, January 27, 2010

L3

Okay, we're talking about Life-Long Learning, or what I affectionately refer to as L3. I think those of us who are members of the LDS church already have quite the leg-up on the rest of the world when it comes to L3. We understand that we are expected to study the scriptures, learn spiritual truths, and strengthen our testimonies our whole lives. If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards they say (which only really makes sense if your moving against a conveyor belt or moving sidewalk, but I guess we're not supposed to take it so literally). We can't just rest on our laurels and think that the knowledge we have gained will hold us over until kingdom come. Life is continual journey! Intelligence and knowledge (particularly of a spiritual nature) are some of our biggest rewards for progressing in this journey.

L3 is just as important in our fields of academic study as it is for us spiritually. If my physician wasn't continually reading up about his field and learning the new theories and procedures that could protect me from malpractice, disease, injury, or death, I don't know what I'd do... probably die, I guess... So, RSS feeds and other ways of collecting streaming information from the internet are incredibly useful tools for accomplishing L3. Plus, now I don't have to visit all the various websites I usually do, which saves me some time. This is a good thing because I don't have a computer and the computers at the public library are usually a little sketch...


3 comments:

  1. L3, I like that.
    BTW, your videos say that they are unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, now we have two classes together! I'm glad I will get to hear more of your ideas and loggic! not only in 276 but in technology as well! I liked your ideas by the way, L3 is a nice short way to write it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on this post. I especially like how you mentioned that our secular learning can be just as important as our spiritual learning. So true, especially when our secular learning is often the means by which we contribute and serve those around us (like as a doctor or a teacher).

    ReplyDelete